Volunteer in Peru Shelter For Babies And Young Mothers
Shelter For Babies And Young Mothers
Project Overview: This project offers a secure space and an education to babies and young children, along with young or teenage mothers. The aim of establishing such a shelter was to prevent teenage mothers at risk of abandoning their babies for economic factors and because of a lack of support, from doing so. The project was founded 10 years ago by a number of people – mostly educators – who identified a necessity to provide housing and an education not only to disadvantaged children, but also to their mothers. This shelter was thus formed to provide a safe supportive space for young or teenage mothers to educate and raise their children.
Location: This project is located approximately 20 minutes from Cuzco by local bus. Buses pass by the project every 15 minutes.
Project Mission: To offer a fair and just education to the children of teenage mothers, and to offer a calm, secure space for them to raise their children in a healthy manner.
- For volunteers with experience in social work or nursing: care for the babies, implement games and miscellaneous activities, help the mothers to care for their children, train the mothers in appropriate childcare.
- For volunteers with experience in graphic design: design and put together a creative, attractive and innovative website for the project, carry out publicity and marketing and introduce the project to social networks.
- For volunteers with experience in finance, accounting or similar: carry out various important administrative tasks, help with project accounting.
(The specific tasks that the volunteer will be asked to carry out will depend on their personal profile, skills and interests).
Working Hours: Mornings: 9:00am-2.00pm OR
Suggested Volunteer Dates: Volunteers can participate in a placement at any time of year.
Minimum Length of Placement: A potential volunteer must be able to commit to a period of minimum 3 weeks to be able to carry out their placement in this project.
Tourism: In Peru tourism is a huge attraction and the third largest national industry, after mining and fishing. In the last 5 years tourism in Peru has grown by 25% annually – making it the fastest growing national industry and the highest in South America. Tourism is largely based around the (more than 1000) archeological sites and trekking routes, although the Sacred Valley of the Incas and Machu Picchu are particularly famous, thanks to their denomination as one of the 7 Wonders of the World.
Language: Spanish is the official language of Peru and is used across most of the country. The cultural and historical legacy of Peru is expressed through the variety of native languages that are still spoken throughout its territory. The language of Quechua (and its respective regional dialects) is constitutionally recognized as Peru’s second language and is spoken particularly in the Andean regions of the country.
Currency: The official currency of Peru is the Nuevo sol: $1(3 soles), 1EUR (3,5 soles).
These details could vary according to future currency fluctuation
Each volunteer will be provided housing with a Guatemalan host family in a charming house – either located in the small city of Antigua or in the community in which you will be carrying out your volunteer placement. The majority of rooms are single-occupancy, although some are shared with other volunteers. They are simple, clean rooms with all the basic necessities and the families are incredibly warm and welcoming. Each volunteer will be provided clean bedding and a home-cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner from Monday-Saturday.
- All volunteers must be 18 years old or above
- High level of Spanish fluency in the case of non-native Spanish speakers.
- This particular project is appropriate for all kinds of volunteers and does not require specific training or experience.
- This project is appropriate for people who like to be surrounded by nature and in the countryside, as the orphanage is located in a rural community
- We expect a positive attitude and a willingness to live, learn and get to know a different culture in a community with few resources.
- It is very important for a volunteer to be highly adaptable, as the people that will be surrounding you during your time in Peru have very different lives and work than your own.
- It is essential to have an attitude of wanting to learn, willingness to listen and observe and motivation to help children and/or adults.
- Complete dedication to the volunteer experience is imperative.
- For specific volunteer roles (social work, nursing, graphic design, accounting etc) the volunteer must possess the necessary knowledge to carry out the role. If they are not qualified professionals they may be in their last year of studies or recent graduates of these specific disciplines or similar.
4 weeks: 635 Euros ($685)
3 weeks: 525 Euros ($565)
2 weeks: 435 Euros ($470)
Extra week: 75 Euros ($80)
(These prices could vary slightly according to fluctuations in the $-EUR Exchange Rate).
These prices include:
- Transfer from Cuzco Airport to accommodation (one way).
- Accomodation with a host family, including 3 meals Monday-Friday.
- Presence of a Volunteer Coordinator to support you throughout your placement.
- Organization of your volunteer placement in a project of your choice, and a donation to the project.
These prices do not include:
- Plane ticket
- Travel insurance (obligatory)
- Contact us either by phone, email or by filling in the following application form.
- Once you have chosen your volunteering project and have confirmed your start and end dates, you will need to provide us with your exact flight dates (date, flight number, arrival time).
- We will send you a breakdown of the price of the program that you choose.
- Before departure we ask you to make a deposit of your program cost to the ONGVoluntariado Bank Account (the balance of your program cost will be settled in-country upon arrival).
- Before departure you will also receive all the information pertinent to your volunteer placement, Volunteer Contract, travel recommendations and useful info, and we will be available to resolve any doubts or issues you may have before commencing your placement.